Friday, May 30, 2008

Ho Chi Minh Culinary Tour

Years ago, I noticed this Pho bac Vietnamese restaurant at Festival Mall Alabang. Remote to my taste pallete still I decided to try eating at the said restaurant. Their pho (noodles soup), cha gio (spring rolls) dipped in nuoc mam (sweet chili fish sauce) was mild, smooth and light which became my instant favorite. I told my wife then and asked her to try it too. And she agreed and gave me two thumbs up.

After our Singapore trip, I told my wife to get ready to taste more of viet food because we are coming over for a real culinary trip to Ho Chi Minh City May 2008 to celebrate my birthday. And we did!

One whole week of vietamese cooking experience. Traditional and modern preparation as one could easily find in the streets of Ly tu trong and Le thanh ton, food stalls inside and around Ben Thanh Market and basically all streets of HCMC. Very interesting to see those native food carriers at the side streets where everybody, local and foreign tourists alike enjoys eating. Delicious Pho ga (chicken noodles) and com ga (rice chicken) is everywhere. Goi cuon ( rice paper rolls with herbs, cucumber, pork, shrimp, lettuce) with peanut sauce is amazing. And yes, those tiny stools and tables set-up at most street corners were a great “free-and –easy, watch-the-world-go-by” late afternoon trip. Was really one heck of good experience! Quan An Ngon is unforgettable. There, I got to taste heaven in banh tom ho tay (shrimp cake)! Fresh coconut is available all over. And prawns..............yes prawns ( tom hap dua-tiger prawns in coco milk) are just as exciting!

I would not have a second thought of coming back to Vietnam to do it again. It just feels wonderful! dac biet!