Thursday, May 21, 2009

A gift @ Mt. Pulag


The 5-day weather forecast is distracting as we prepare our Mt. Pulag weekend climb. Arriving in Benguet, we were reminded to get as much water protection as possible. “It’s raining cats and dogs up there almost every afternoon”. This perhaps is another challenging climb as the last time we climbed the mountain about 2 years ago.

Requested by our friend who’s going to bid goodbye to singlehood. Arrived weeks ago with her Aussie fiancĂ©, we still pushed through with our plan.


Trailhead to the summit

I prepared my raincoat at the outer pocket of my backpack. Next to Ramon, our local guide, we started the long trek to the summit. I don’t have anymore rain protection other than my rain coat and my backpack’s raincover. Although previously informed of the weather condition, I chose to pack the lightest possible gear for the climb as I came from an intensive 10-day Advance Training Course of my beloved Scouting family at Mt. Makiling. Already exhausted serving as the trailblazer master for the participants’ anchor activity: the survival hike, I decided to use my 35L Jack Wolfskin’s lightpack. Tired and with little rain protection, I just crossed my fingers. “No rain, please....”
Started late and the annoying presence of late afternoon shower notices, notions constantly twiddled around my mind. I am not sure if I will ever catch Mt. Pulag’s sunset this time. And sunrise? Sana naman...meron.

We arrived at the campsite earlier than we expected. And there was not a single drizzle of shower extended to us by mother nature until we reached our destination. By night fall, it was a star studded night that I truly adored.
My colleagues prepared a feast: Seafood kare-kare, beef broccoli and iceberg beef salad. At 9 degrees and with chill factor temperature, we still enjoyed our dinner and a little cocktail celebration for the soon-to-be Mr. & Mrs. Maconahey.


Pulag’s sunrise


By 4am, we were up and begun our summit sunrise viewing. As I continuously stepped on the rocky ascending trail towards the summit, I remembered the exact feeling I had descending from them the last time I visited Pulag. All wet, with chills due to strong winds and the never ending rainshowers......the event seemed like madness. But here now, as I elevate my feet in every step I make going to the peak....... “My God, you will not let your child get disappointed this time”.


Thank you Lord for that wonderful morning. I felt I was the most blessed God’s child that time.



No comments: