Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A glympse at the peak of Mt. Cising, Yangmingshan


After my breakfast buffet at the hotel, I headed to the bus stop near Exit 3 of MRT Ximen station and waited for bus 260 bound for Yangmingshan. When the bus finally arrived, I boarded and swiped my "easy card" at the bus scanner and find a seat, As I saw some vacant blue colored seats, I knew they were meant for old people and the handicapped. I remained standing and as the bus traveled, I patiently waited for a seat to be vacated by local commuters. Several minutes after, I got mine at last. More than a hour has passed and we arrived at the Yangmingshan National Park located at the heart of vast mountain ranges. There were plentiful structures along the road that I didnot expect. It was not mentioned on my previous researches about the place.

Upon reaching the last bus stop, I got off and looked for some information where I easily got one. A direction to a visitors' center where an arrow is pointing upward towards a forested area. I became excited to at once check the place out.

At the visitors' area, everything is written in chinese except for trail signs strategically posted that has english translation. I did not bother to ask anyone but instead head for an interesting hiking destination. I chose Mt. Cising trail with 2.25km distance from the visitors' center to it's peak.

The trail was paved with natural stones that I believe designed to avoid erosion. Since it is raining the time I was hiking, the stones were wet and slippery. I noticed hikers on their way down with their wet raincoats on. I helplessly said "ni hau" (hello) to every one as that was the only chinese words I know aside from "tse, tse" (thank you). I wished I could say something more to hikers whom I met along but It's seems to be impossible at that particular time.

Cising Mountain stands the tallest at the rim of the Taipei Basin. Its main peak is 1,120m tall (above elevation). There was a crater at the peak but it became seven small peaks due to post-eruption erosion. The steep peaks of Cising Mountain are the most striking feature of this conical volcano.

Approaching the summit, there were strong winds blowing from almost all directions. Had I been not standing firmly, I have been blown away by the hard and heavy pushs of the wind. I hardly see anything except for that part of the trail which I was stepping at. Everything beyond 2 meters distance is not visible. I just grabbed some pictures of the peak and went down immediately. After almost three hours, I have returned to the visitors area where I came from. I had hot noodles treat for myself and a peep at some nearby hotsprings before heading back to the city.

No comments: