Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My First European Hiking Adventure




Just as wifey and I arrived CDG airport and boarded the tram towards Chatelet le Halles, I can already sense my hurrying  urge of going hiking with France’s great outdoors-loving expats.  But that rushing thoughts of course has to put to hold first until I am finally done with settling down at our hotel and spend some precious time together with the wife who conceptualized our ten-days French type fall-spring escape on a romantic setting.  It was our 20th year celebration of good friendship, different dreams shared together and yes,  happy marriage of course!


While walking our way to Tim Hotel le Louvre along  Rue Croix de Petit Champs, we passed by Rue de Rivoli corner Rue de L’Almiral Coligny sighting a Jack Wolfskin shop whom I understand just opened several months earlier.  It was great to know that the shop is just a corner away from our hotel.  I smiled thinking I can nose around and check-scan the shop before going to Au Vieux Campeur.


The temperature  around that time is at 8-10 degrees centigrade and I have been longing to really experience it since it’s my first time in Europe. I wonder how cold it would be on the mountains where there’s wind and some splashes of rain?  I planned this trip but brought only a set of trekking clothes plus a thermal underwear since I considered buying some stuff in Au Vieux Campeur in the Latin Quarter.



And so after spending some romantic French time eating out on a picnic by the Seine River, dating at lovely boulangeries and patisseries, visiting gardens and famous French landmarks, people watching at cafes by the street and of course shopping at some popular French bags and jewelry shops, it’s my time to check Paris’ neighboring outdoor havens together with my new found outdoor loving friends. 








Using France’s impressive Metro/RER train system can get you anywhere on time and with ease.  Traveling is so easy that I even took a nap and did not worry of missing out my target station since I understand that except for the lost time, going back to a missed-station will not cost a traveler anymore additional fare.  And it’s so great that it was really a big treat for a Filipino (and a third-world guy) like me!







I met Kefah, Carles, Chris on the trail and of course Amanda, the lovely brit who accidentally sprained her right ankle while trailing in the Versailles.  Kefah has done a bit of hillwalking in Scotland where he normally reside.  Carles, is from Barcelona living in Paris since 2011. He said he enjoys sharing good moments with friends. He used to do hiking either in Spain as well as in France. Hiking of 20-25 km/da.  Chris, the one who coordinated the hike with me loves various outdoor sports.  He call himself a hike guru and enjoys hiking for over 10 years, mostly on sundays & in Ile-de-France.  Sometimes in the moutains too : Jura, the Alps, Pyrénées, Lozère ... & in the rest of the world too BTW... Amanda, on the other hand  has done some tramping in the UK in the Peaks and the Lakes but said she haven't done anything for years.  I introduced myself to them as a “tropic tramper” on a holiday who wishes to try hiking nearby Paris countryside..  Been hiking for almost 2 decades. It relaxes my mind, refreshen my spirit and invigorates my body. Hiking is part of my lifestyle.

Kefah, Chris, Carles with G.Monty



We met many hikers who eventually joined us along.  Chris took the lead, Carles provided support on the group who joined us while I took the sweep role, patiently waiting for the leisurely walkers and showing them the way,  Kefah enjoyed taking pictures every step of the way.  He is fond of taking good landscapes, not people or faces like Filipinos generally do.  Amanda catched- up within the back middle still worried of her ankle but did not want to be left behind.



I was informed that it was the last hike of Kefah since he will be assigned somewhere in Morocco. As a send off hike, we had a little celebration with a bottle of premium French rouge brought by Kefah himself.  We stopped by and took a short rest at a Cherry blossom grove where we also advised Amanda what to do with her sprained ankle.    



We ended our hike somewhere at Bourg la Reine by around 7 o’clock in the evening. Though its my first time in a well structured place like France, going back to the city is worry free that I just need to look for an automated ticketing booth and buy a train ticket, get on board, take a nap while traveling back and voila……I am back!!!  At around 9 o’clock, I met my wife at the ”Le Thermidor” and had a storytelling dinner with her.  It was a grand experience that I will keep craving for more.




6:30 pm @ Bourg la Reine 

"Le Thermidor" 

With a permitting weather and great people around, I wish to be back and go out again with these hikers I met on those French trails.  I have learned some and taught some too!!! 



Tail hiking in Fontainebleau



No comments: